Product Overview: Skidmore Wilhelm Model MZ
The latest lightweight design for bolt tensioning is the Skidmore Wilhelm Model MZ. This unit weights around 21lbs versus the 46lb model MS. Depending on the options that you select, the Skidmore Wilhelm Model MZ can perform bolt testing on the following diameters: 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, 7/8″, 1″, 1-1/8″, and 1-1/4″ bolts. The new bushing design eliminates dowel pins. The base unit includes a Pelican carrying case.
Bolt Testing Capacity: 126,000 lbs. of Bolt Tensioning
For precise measurement of bolt tensioning in short structural fasteners, two developments in construction practice have created a demand for the Model MZ bolt tension calibrator: thinner sections of structural steel and the use of tension-control bolts. Designed to accept shorter grip length bolts, the Model MZ provides all the features and capabilities of our standard Model M and MS skidmore test
calibrators. Whether calibrating power wrenches or testing fasteners, you need no special training, no additional equipment. Simply clamp the calibrator to a beam or column and insert your fastener. Tightening it gives a direct dial pressure reading equivalent to the tension created in the fastener—guaranteed accurate within 1% every time.
Bolt Testing – For Economical Quality Assurance
With a Skidmore test, you can accurately simulate joint conditions, and then transfer your
tightening procedure to the joint itself. The result is consistent tightening to bolt tensioning specifications. The Research Council on Structural Connections recommends that a tension measuring device such as the Model MZ be available at every job site.* Obsolete torque checking methods will not let you meet approved bolt tensioning specifications.
The Model MZ Bolt Tension Calibrator Allows You to Verify:
• That your fasteners meet the minimum bolt tension specifications.
• Impact wrenches are properly calibrated.
• Tension-control fasteners sheer off at the correct tension.
• Bolting crew understands how to achieve proper tension in all types of fasteners
• Have the right installation tools and equipment.
Avoid Costly Rework and Re-inspection with Bolt Testing
How do you give the best evidence of properly installed fasteners? First demonstrate with the calibrator that your tightening procedures produce proper bolt tension. Then consistently apply these procedures to the job itself.
Skidmore Bolt Tester Calibrators let you build the inspection into your selected bolt tightening procedure. Proof of correct bolt tightening is right on the Model MZ calibrator dial.
* Research Council on Structural Connections, “Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM or A490
* Research Council on Structural Connections, “Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or
Skidmore Calibration & Repair
The technicians at JM Test Systems have been trained on both calibration and repair of the Skidmore Wilhelm model M, and the newer model MZ.
Training topics covered:
- Bolt Tension Tester calibration utilizing a hydraulic force press and proving ring force standard
- Disassembly, cleaning, seal replacement and reassembly of the model M and MZ Bolt Tension Testers
- Type of hydraulic fluid used and refill procedure following repair
- Most common failure sources
- T3000 Torque Tester calibration utilizing standard arms and masses
Skidmore Wilhelm Rental
Skidmore bolt testing rental options are available at JM Test Systems including the Skidmore Wilhelm Model MZ. Use the fields above to select the options you need. Add your configured model to your Quote List to get a quick rental quote today! Some configurations may not be available for rent.
Rental units include everything you need to test a variety of bolt lengths. Units arrive in complete kits which will include the base unit, case, plates, bushings, and spacers depending on the options that you select. Questions about the type of model you need? Use the form on this page to start an email thread with a knowledgeable representative who can answer your question and provide a quote.
Request a Quote: New Purchase, Rental, Calibration, or Repair
Send us a message to find out how we can help with your Skidmore Machine